- Yoga Teacher Training 2016 was intense; but it was the most fulfilling intensive six (6) weeks I have ever experienced. The Faculty are all experts in their fields and brought valuable and insightful techniques that not only enhanced my personal practice but certainly set the foundation for my journey as a Yoga Teacher. The program offered much more than I expected. I learned my body parts, understanding the Anatomy of Yoga which I did not give much thought as a practitioner. Yoga Teacher Training changed that and now whenever I practice or teach I use that knowledge to create a better experience. If you are serious about your Yoga practice then the Yoga Teacher Training is a must. Make the investment, its the best gift you can give your mind and body.
- Let me start by saying this specifically to Trinidadians, living in Trinidad...if you want to change your life without "changing your life" then this intensive is for you. You can do this without changing your job and location. Sure, you won't have time to do some things...like spend an evening doing absolutely nothing! But this is a temporary sacrifice that will endless rewards. Sometimes you just won't want to do it and that's okay. Just remember the "why" you are doing it and that would help you to get through. This course will make you want to dig deeper, want more, know more...this was the beginning of a lifelong journey for me, that gets better with time, like wine. But I must mention that it is intense in EVERY sense of the word but it is surely worth it. I have no regrets in doing it. Sometimes I felt tired, annoyed, tired, overwhelmed and did I mention tired? mentally and physically, but I can never say that I regretted doing it. The Sangha Trinidad will always hold a special piece of my heart.
- The Sangha Trinidad’s 500-hour teacher-training prepares its trainees to teach principles and techniques of yoga that are more advanced, and to teach with greater skill, than could reasonably be expected of an RYT 200
- There are lots of well-trained and experienced persons out there who can teach you the countless Asanas and no doubt help you to become a qualified yoga instructor. But there is only one Karen Blackman – she not only teaches you those yoga Asanas but she also blows your mind and opens your heart to welcome and receive the true meaning of yoga. Most of all what stands out is her positive and uplifting interaction with people – you can see this is in her classes at the Sangha, she has a large following of students; many whom have been with her for a number of years. She consistently delivers new types of classes with fresh twists – so students are always challenged and keep coming back for more. Karen’s teacher training takes you on a holistic journey never to be forgotten – that year was one of the most memorable and life changing experiences of my life. There is the physically rigorous training and learning about the various aspects of yoga from a host of experienced local and international teachers which Karen hand picks to be part of her annual teacher training line up. And then there is that ‘mother like’ but boot - camp, tough but empathic, daring, inspirational and brave woman that is Karen Blackman to help you along every step of the way. Her experience and knowledge are truly vast and she is an excellent teacher – grabs your attention from the start and is always challenging you to reach new heights and try new things. She is not afraid to push you and let go of your hand as you discover your path on the journey to becoming a qualified and fantastic yoga instructor. So if your quest is to become a qualified yoga instructor or you are looking to deepen your practice and you want to be challenged, benefit from the experience of world class teachers and a fun learning environment, I definitely recommend that Karen Blackman is the person for you. Of course you can see for yourself by trying out her classes at the Sangha!
- The Sangha Teacher Training is the first of its kind throughout the Caribbean, as the only Yoga Alliance Registered 500 hour school in the region. However, the quality of the teacher training draws on excellent expertise from North America and the Caribbean. The program is specifically structured to be as accessible as possible, allowing for morning or evening options, which was a huge benefit for me as a single mom, with an extremely demanding job, as well as a young son. The benefits of this program are phenomenal, affecting not just my yoga practice but every facet of my life and resulting in a change of career to full-time yoga instructor. Karen Blackman was blessed with the gift of teaching yoga from her heart and shares every part of this with every student who makes the decision to embark on this journey.
- Completing The Sangha Trinidad Yoga Teacher Training program was a life changing experience for me. It helped me answer so many questions I had about my body and how it works and also about my life in general. The program helped me not only answer those questions for myself but also gave me the tools to help my students answer those questions for themselves. A truly invaluable experience!
- In short The Sangha Trinidad's Yoga Teacher Training programme positively transformed my life. Worth every moan, groan, tear, and sacrifice!
- My teacher training experience with The Sangha Trinidad, has launched me into new paths of personal growth. I love the way we are encouraged to play with, to create and even go beyond existing paradigms presenting fresh views of this multifaceted diamond.
- THE SANGHA TRINIDAD'S YOGA TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAMME, IS AN INTENSIVE, PRACTICAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND COMPREHENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAMME THAT PRODUCES A KNOWLEDGEABLE CREATIVE TEACHER AND DEEPENS YOUR YOGA PRACTICE. AT THE END YOU WOULD HAVE HAD A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE!
Karen Blackman comes with over 24 years of experience. She practised 6 years of Bikram Yoga and then went on to practice and study Moksha/Modo Yoga®, where she was part of the first Moksha/Modo Yoga® Teacher Training in 2004. This Training included the likes of Michael Stone, Frank Jude Boccio, John Friend and so many others! It changed her life! Karen has done a lot with regards to the growth of yoga in Trinidad. She opened the very first commercial/open door yoga studio. Was featured widely in the national media – Trinidad Express, Trinidad Guardian, Caribbean Belle and Uhealth Magazine, as well as CNC3, TV6 and Gayelle. She’s been published in the AMCHAMTT magazine, Linkage and in Upful Journal…all in the hopes of inspiring others. Her work in giving back, has also spread as far as Italy, where her charity, The Karma Foundation was featured in Spore (a magazine financed by the EU) for her idea of Karma Tags for Change. Many of Trinidad’s current yoga instructors have been taught by her and she can safely say that she has introduced and taught over 10,000 people in Trinidad alone to yoga, taught over 50,000 hours, has been pivotal in helping many rehabilitate their injuries and/or just simply learn how to manage their challenges…sharing in many life-changing experiences. In short, she has dedicated and continues to dedicate her life to helping folks find their yoga!
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
Over 17yrs teaching experience: Toronto, Montreal, London (Ontario, Canada), British Virgin Islands and currently Trinidad and Tobago where she now resides.
Director, The Sangha Trinidad | established in 2005 | RYS® 500 (currently the only Yoga Alliance 500hr registered school in this part of the caribbean)
Director, The Karma Foundation | established in 2007
Creator/Founder of The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training Program | established in 2013
BComm, Business Management, Minor Business Law, Minor Business Communications | Ryerson University
Yoga Alliance E-RYT® 500, YACEP® | Certified Moksha/Modo Yoga Level I and II and Yin Yoga Instructor |
Vipassana 10-day Silent Meditation Course in Costa Rica | Functional Anatomy with Susi Hately (one of Canada’s top Functional Anatomy Instructors, who has worked with the Canadian Olympic Team)
OTHER FACULTY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER…
Degree (Level 1)
Reiki is a form of ENERGY MEDICINE. Energy Medicine are techniques used for relaxation and stress relief; accelerating physical and emotional healing; and enhancing overall well-being. This course includes an overview of the history of Reiki, hand placements and self and group practice. Upon completion of this certificate, you will be attuned to the usui System of Natural Healing in accordance with the usui Shiki Ryoho tradition.
Angela is heavily involved in Energy Work (also referred to as Energy Medicine, Wellness Therapies, or Energy Healing). She also delivers one-on-one Clarity Coaching sessions and Clarity Workshops for groups.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
LLB Degree (Bachelor of Laws, University of London) | Clarity Coach/Life Coach – CPC (Certified Professional Coach)
Traumatic Incident Reduction (TIR) | Life Stress Reduction (LSR) and Ability Enhancement (AE) Facilitator | Blue Star Trinidad and Tobago-trained Counsellor.
Principal and Afro-Caribbean Drumming Instructor and Founder of the award-winning Blackman’s Private School Trintofusion Drummers at Blackman’s Private School | Advanced) Integrated Energy Therapy (IET) Practitioner Level | Sacred Peace Healing Energy | Reconnection (Sphe-re) 1st Level Teacher and Highest Level Practitioner Levels | Graduate of the Silva Method and Landmark Education’s | Plus many other Personal Development programs among other types of self-development systems and courses.
Dennise Demming has more than 30 years experience in Business Communications having held various management positions in the Media, Energy and Manufacturing Sectors. She is currently the Lead Consultant at Demming Communications, a Public Relations consultancy service which she founded over 12 years ago.
Her business communication experience is supported by a strong academic background. She holds an MBA from the Institute of Business, University of the West Indies, a B.Sc. in Political Science & Public Administration as well as a certificate in Mass Communications also from the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine Campus. This academic prowess is enhanced by her participation in numerous local and international training activities aimed at skill development in a wide range of areas.
Yoga Alliance RYT® 500 Certified Sangha Yoga Instructor and
Currently the only Yoga Alliance RYT® 500 Certified Kemetic Yoga Instructor in Trinidad & Tobago
Zahra first completed her Kemetic Yoga Teacher Training in 2011. She was drawn to Kemetic Yoga as it is an African-Based Yoga System. She studied and trained with Yirser Ra Hotep. The foundation of Kemetic Yoga is rooted in the principles of Maat and is a system that taught her the importance of breath control, mental development and spiritual transformation. She then completed The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training program in June 2014 with Karen Blackman, where it reinforced for her the idea of a stress-free yoga practice, the importance of the anatomy and caring for the spine.
She has certifications in various modalities of Massage Therapy, Holistic Iridology, Health and Nutrition, Spa Management and an M.B.A in Entrepreneurship and Marketing. She is currently completing her Ph.D in Natural Health with a focus on Holistic Nutrition.
Owner/Founder of Functional Synergy Inc.
Founder of the IAYT Accredited Yoga Therapy Certification Program.
Susi is one of Canada’s most sought after yoga therapists, and trainer of yoga therapists. A best-selling author of the Anatomy and Asana series and the Yoga for Anatomy DVD-ROM, Susi has been highlighted in Yoga Journal, Real Simple, Natural Health, Yoga Therapy Today, Bridal Magazine, Chatelaine, and ACE fitness. She is unique in 2 ways – First, her approach is that she sees on a regular basis how each of her students is able to reduce their pain and improve how they move through a combination of Biomechanics, Anatomy and Kinesiology instruction. And second, she takes the principles that made her one of the most effective yoga therapists in North America and applies them to helping yoga teachers build their business. Truly, she is as interested in helping her students out of pain as she is at helping yoga teachers earn a living. Thousands of yoga teachers have taken her yoga therapy trainings and business trainings, and the results are amazing. Teachers around the globe are not only helping their students out of pain, they are also earning a living. Do what you love, make a difference in the world, and make a living too! How beautiful is that?
Certified Thai Yoga Massage Therapist, Watsu Aquatic Therapist and Acupuncturist.
Obediya comes with several years of experience providing treatments for high level athletes, professional dancers, yoga teachers and students. Obediya specializes in teaching Yoga Teachers about the importance of touch and the integration of Thai Yoga Massage into their yoga teaching practice.
With over 15 years of experience studying and using body awareness health and wellness techniques from all over the world, Obediya has created a system that simplifies very complex concepts into easy to understand exercises. He has successfully taught these workshops all over the world in multiple languages, sometimes without the assistance of a language translator. The end result has always left him proud of the people he teaches, as they are able to incorporate their new skills into their routine with confidence.
Born in Canada, he started his journey exploring health and wellness while living in a small village in South East Asia in 1998. After extensive western education, training and clinical practice in Canada and the United States, he now gives back to the professional community by teaching workshops to share his accumulated knowledge.
After many years of clinical practice in Vancouver, Canada Obediya currently resides in Cleveland, Ohio. In addition to his workshops he consults with an internationally represented NGO and African nationals to build a health clinic and wellness centre for the disadvantaged in the inner city of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.