- Yoga Teacher Training 2016 was intense; but it was the most fulfilling intensive six (6) weeks I have ever experienced. The Faculty are all experts in their fields and brought valuable and insightful techniques that not only enhanced my personal practice but certainly set the foundation for my journey as a Yoga Teacher. The program offered much more than I expected. I learned my body parts, understanding the Anatomy of Yoga which I did not give much thought as a practitioner. Yoga Teacher Training changed that and now whenever I practice or teach I use that knowledge to create a better experience. If you are serious about your Yoga practice then the Yoga Teacher Training is a must. Make the investment, its the best gift you can give your mind and body.
- Let me start by saying this specifically to Trinidadians, living in Trinidad...if you want to change your life without "changing your life" then this intensive is for you. You can do this without changing your job and location. Sure, you won't have time to do some things...like spend an evening doing absolutely nothing! But this is a temporary sacrifice that will endless rewards. Sometimes you just won't want to do it and that's okay. Just remember the "why" you are doing it and that would help you to get through. This course will make you want to dig deeper, want more, know more...this was the beginning of a lifelong journey for me, that gets better with time, like wine. But I must mention that it is intense in EVERY sense of the word but it is surely worth it. I have no regrets in doing it. Sometimes I felt tired, annoyed, tired, overwhelmed and did I mention tired? mentally and physically, but I can never say that I regretted doing it. The Sangha Trinidad will always hold a special piece of my heart.
- The Sangha Trinidad’s 500-hour teacher-training prepares its trainees to teach principles and techniques of yoga that are more advanced, and to teach with greater skill, than could reasonably be expected of an RYT 200
- There are lots of well-trained and experienced persons out there who can teach you the countless Asanas and no doubt help you to become a qualified yoga instructor. But there is only one Karen Blackman – she not only teaches you those yoga Asanas but she also blows your mind and opens your heart to welcome and receive the true meaning of yoga. Most of all what stands out is her positive and uplifting interaction with people – you can see this is in her classes at the Sangha, she has a large following of students; many whom have been with her for a number of years. She consistently delivers new types of classes with fresh twists – so students are always challenged and keep coming back for more. Karen’s teacher training takes you on a holistic journey never to be forgotten – that year was one of the most memorable and life changing experiences of my life. There is the physically rigorous training and learning about the various aspects of yoga from a host of experienced local and international teachers which Karen hand picks to be part of her annual teacher training line up. And then there is that ‘mother like’ but boot - camp, tough but empathic, daring, inspirational and brave woman that is Karen Blackman to help you along every step of the way. Her experience and knowledge are truly vast and she is an excellent teacher – grabs your attention from the start and is always challenging you to reach new heights and try new things. She is not afraid to push you and let go of your hand as you discover your path on the journey to becoming a qualified and fantastic yoga instructor. So if your quest is to become a qualified yoga instructor or you are looking to deepen your practice and you want to be challenged, benefit from the experience of world class teachers and a fun learning environment, I definitely recommend that Karen Blackman is the person for you. Of course you can see for yourself by trying out her classes at the Sangha!
- The Sangha Teacher Training is the first of its kind throughout the Caribbean, as the only Yoga Alliance Registered 500 hour school in the region. However, the quality of the teacher training draws on excellent expertise from North America and the Caribbean. The program is specifically structured to be as accessible as possible, allowing for morning or evening options, which was a huge benefit for me as a single mom, with an extremely demanding job, as well as a young son. The benefits of this program are phenomenal, affecting not just my yoga practice but every facet of my life and resulting in a change of career to full-time yoga instructor. Karen Blackman was blessed with the gift of teaching yoga from her heart and shares every part of this with every student who makes the decision to embark on this journey.
- Completing The Sangha Trinidad Yoga Teacher Training program was a life changing experience for me. It helped me answer so many questions I had about my body and how it works and also about my life in general. The program helped me not only answer those questions for myself but also gave me the tools to help my students answer those questions for themselves. A truly invaluable experience!
- In short The Sangha Trinidad's Yoga Teacher Training programme positively transformed my life. Worth every moan, groan, tear, and sacrifice!
- My teacher training experience with The Sangha Trinidad, has launched me into new paths of personal growth. I love the way we are encouraged to play with, to create and even go beyond existing paradigms presenting fresh views of this multifaceted diamond.
- THE SANGHA TRINIDAD'S YOGA TEACHER TRAINING PROGRAMME, IS AN INTENSIVE, PRACTICAL, SCIENTIFIC, AND COMPREHENSIVE TRAINING PROGRAMME THAT PRODUCES A KNOWLEDGEABLE CREATIVE TEACHER AND DEEPENS YOUR YOGA PRACTICE. AT THE END YOU WOULD HAVE HAD A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE!
The Sangha Trinidad is currently
the ONLY 500hr Yoga Alliance Registered School in the Caribbean!
The program we offer is a 500hr Yoga Alliance recognized program
that is completely accessible and VERY intensive!
We also introduced numerous techniques never been offered in other Teacher Trainings around the world
in the hopes that it produces the best instructor in YOU that you can be.
We use a combination of nationally renowned Caribbean faculty and internationally world renowned faculty to not only keep the cost of the training affordable, but to help us offer a spicy, balanced program that would be recognized anywhere you taught.
The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training 2021 is taking a twist,
due to COVID-19, folks!!
THE NEW DATES FOR YTT2021 ARE
SATURDAY, JULY 24 TO SUNDAY, AUGUST 29
IT IS NOW A 5-WEEK INTENSIVE!
Read below for the REVISED TRAINING DETAILS…
Here is the need-to-know info on the Training…
COURSE FEE: TT$40,000.00
(INCLUDES COURSE MATERIALS ONLY).
Food, Room and Board, Transport and other books available for sale, are extra.
PAYMENT SCHEDULE: These are the major payment dates.
- TT$20,000 Due By: MAY 7, 2021
- TT$10,000 can be paid by March 31, 2021
- TT$10,000 can be paid by April 30, 2021
***(PLEASE NOTE: If for some reason beyond your control OR beyond the control of either party – The Sangha Trinidad OR the Participant, a cancellation needs to occur after the payment of the first deposit and between MAY 8, 2021 and JULY 8, 2021 – ONLY 50% of the deposit or up to ONLY $10,000.00 can be refunded OR the funds paid can go toward Teacher Training 2022.)***
- ***TT$20,000 Due By: JULY 9, 2021***
- TT$10,000 can be paid by May 31, 2021
- TT$10,000 can be paid by June 30, 2021
- TT$10,000 can be paid by May 31, 2021
***(PLEASE NOTE: No Refund from this date can be accommodated. If for some reason beyond your control however OR beyond the control of either party – The Sangha Trinidad OR the Participant, a cancellation needs to occur by the start of the Training, any funds paid, will go toward Teacher Training 2022.)***
**If you need to further adjust this schedule, please contact us to discuss.
PAYMENTS CAN BE ACCEPTED BY:
Credit Card (can also be done by phone)
Online Banking (contact us by Whatsapp at 730-YOGA (9642) OR by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for banking info)
Below was the REVISED Curriculum and Faculty for 2020 due to COVID restrictions.
The curriculum for 2021 will be similar with some further adjustments
(Final Poster to come)
- The course is now going to be with faculty that is part online and part in-person
- The local faculty will be in-person
- The Foreign Faculty will be online
(PLEASE NOTE: While Yoga Alliance has given approval for online hours to count as contact hours due to COVID-19)
Please contact us to discuss, if interested at email@example.com
- There is only one session during the day from 11AM to 4PM during the week (MONDAY TO THURSDAY).
- 8AM TO 5PM on FRIDAYS
- 8AM TO 7PM ON SATURDAYS
- 9AM TO 8PM ON SUNDAYS
- The INTENSIVE course is 5 weeks and full certification takes ONE YEAR to complete.
While it is a 500hr Yoga Alliance program, we cover over 750hrs. of work!
- The fee is TT$40,000.00 and includes your compact binder…your Teacher Training Bible and other certain course materials.
EXTRA VALUE RECEIVED
- While there is a fee of TT$40,000.00, you receive an extra TT$40,000.00 in value in extras as follows:
- **Access to the Mentoring Program value TT$18,000.00 (sitting in classes, reviewing projects, feedback, meetings)
- A Year Pass value TT$5,000.00 which enables you to take as many classes as you like
- Mat and Towel Rentals, plus Free Water Refills value TT$2,600.00
- Rental Space to Practice Teach value TT$8,000.00
- Social Media Marketing value TT$8,000.00 (FB, Instagram, Twitter, Whatsapp, Email Newsletter, Website)
VALUE = TT$40,000.00
****Whether or not you want to receive this extra value, does not change the price of the Training, but the Practicum hours and the projects must be completed in the year, in order to receive the certificate. If there are delays in completing, some concessions can be given at the discretion of the Director.****
**Access to the Mentoring program is not guaranteed.
It’s based on your performance throughout the Training and the Director’s decision
****Projects must be completed and completed in the manner as will be agreed to by contract. This is not negotiable!
We’ve had some people ask why our program is so expensive. But you have to do your research folks, the cost of building a top notch faculty is high…plain and simple! If you go online and research a 500hr Teacher Training, you will discover that the costs are phenomenal. Here’s a sample…
Tuition Only $4,950USD OR $32,175TTD Early bird
Inclusive packages (food and living) from
$6,445.00USD OR $41, 893TTD (Early Bird)
And this is the Early Bird pricing
Then add the cost of airfare, living and the loss of income…i think this one was for 4 weeks
Thailand Retreat (60hrs)
$1990USD OR $13,000TTD – double room
$2390USD OR $15,600TTD – single room
And this is just for 60hrs. Then add the cost of airfare, living and the loss of income
Other Programs break down the 500hrs into modules and you have to pay per module and they run for different dates. Or they require you to have completed a 200hr and a 300hr program first. An example of the modules…
Kripalu School of Yoga in the U.S.
Yoga Teacher Training 500-Hour Certification
Tuition per module $1049USD plus accommodations extra. There are 4 modules
So $4200USD OR $27,300 just for the tuition. Then add the cost of airfare, accommodation, food and living and the loss of income each time you have to travel to finish a module…that’s 4 trips!!
The last we saw, the Modo Yoga (previously known as Moksha Yoga) Training in Canada was about $3800USD, then they ask you to budget for an additional $3800USD for airfare, accommodation, food and living. Then you have to factor in your loss of income and expenses that still have to be maintained here at home. The last group of instructors who went to this Training from Trinidad spent just over $60,000TTD for everything! There are about 65 to 70 people per Training.
Not sure what the Bikram Yoga Training is like now, but back in the day it was about $16,000USD OR $104,000TTD to $20,000USD OR $130,000TTD…Then add the cost of airfare, accommodation, food and living and the loss of income. AND there are about 400 people per Training!
Here nah…it ent easy out there!
We found that only certain people could go to these Trainings and you mos def had to be in a particular income bracket. If you had a family, job commitments etc., the idea of this seemed even more out of reach. And if you are from the Caribbean and don’t have a VISA it’s even harder to access these international programs.
Our hope with The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training is to make teacher training way more accessible to those in the Caribbean. There are so many of you who would make awesome instructors…you have so much to offer. We wanted to give you the same quality and the same attention to detail without you having to leave or lose. You can work around your work schedule and be near for your family if need be. If you are from up the islands, you don’t have to travel far. We have one person who is doing the morning session for the first month…for her vacation and then doing the evening session for the last two weeks when she goes back to work…so it’s a very flexible program.
The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Teacher Training is $40,000TTD. There are 4 to 10 people and it’s a 500hrs program….no modules, no airfare if you are local and some of the same North American faculty as in the other trainings abroad. PLUS, you could be invited into an internship in Toronto (if you desire) and/or at The Sangha Trinidad.
Now…when you see the numbers can you really say that we are pricey?
If we have further convinced you of the value for dollar *smile*, then feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is an overview of the FULL COURSE CURRICULUM for the
6-Week Intensive Yoga Teacher Training (currently 5 weeks for 2020)
(REMINDER: While we pride ourselves on having a solid program, as of 2021,
the requirements will change slightly in accordance with the COVID restrictions
- TECHNIQUES TRAINING / PRACTICE (200HRS)
MEDITATION PRACTICE (11HRS)
Every session will begin with a 15 minute meditation and/or pranayama practice led by one of the senior teachers. It is no problem if this is your first time practicing meditation – although the practice will be suitable to more experienced practitioners, no experience is necessary. Incorporating meditation into your day is a great way to cultivate a mindful, productive, stress-free and focused day.
ASANA PRACTICE (98HRS)
We will focus on The Sangha Trinidad’s Yoga Series, which is based on the Principles of Moksha Yoga®. We will explore sequencing in such classes like Flow Classes, More Advanced Classes, Classes with Music, Silent Classes. And touch on Yin Yoga and Strength + Mobility Classes and learning to teach Asana yoga to many levels. Variety in teachers and teaching styles will provide tools for interpretation within the series, and further the process of making your teaching personal and authentic.
POSTURE WORKSHOP (91HRS)
In this interactive lecture series, each posture in the sequence will be broken down to explore alignment , modifications and variations, “release valves” (including Contraindications), and benefits. We will also discuss the reason for the sequence with regards to Backbends, Forward Bends, Balancing Poses, Twists, Hip Openers, Sun Salutations and Inversions. Each pose will be discussed in deep detail so that the teacher trainers can discover the biomechanics of each posture and hence the safest and most effective way to enter and exit each posture.
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY (42HRS)
Teaching Methodology focuses primarily on all the teaching moments that happen before, during and after class. This is a chance to learn how to create comfort and confidence within the art of teaching and defining your teaching practice…being the best instructor that you can be!
QUALITIES OF A TEACHER (15HRS)
- Communication – helps us how to be be better communicators. We will learn how to make eye contact, the effects of your body language and how to read your students’ body language, verbal cues.
- PLUS we will learn…“It’s not about you” and what that means.
- We also learn how to find your own voice
- Your teaching tone and the importance of variety, including voice projection, utilizing key ‘trigger’ words, body language and the use of visualization to convey information.
- Further discussion will revolve around the different ways in which people learn (visual, physical and audio)
- How to demonstrate
- The importance of observing and giving feedback
- How to teach Hot Yoga (what to look for)
- How to prepare oneself mentally before teaching a class.
This section resolves around one of the most important aspects of teaching: the safe and effective performance of yoga asanas. We will focus primarily on the entry, stasis and exit to and from poses, as well as the following:
- Teaching various body types – seniors, hyper-mobile, lack of awareness, heavier body types vs. smaller body types, injuries (common, multiple, special cases), pre and post natal
- Introduction to potential mental and physical disorders and how to handle – eating disorders, anxiety and panic attacks, depression, asthma, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Includes the use of blocks, straps and other props
- Using both verbal and hands-on adjustments. There will also be discussion revolving around the issues of hands-on adjustments, recognizing limitations and how to be most effective in directing students to self-adjust.
BUSINESS OF YOGA (5HRS)
Learn how to build a sustainable teaching career. Hireability and Saleability. Building your yoga brand and using Social Media. We will explore in detail the nuts and bolts of setting yourself up as an effective yoga professional and introduce practical techniques for managing your time, your finances (NIS, Taxes, etc.), building your class and workshop numbers, creating a strong and consistent following and ultimately flourishing as a teacher mindfully and with a true yogic mind.
- ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY (50HRS) FUNCTIONAL ANATOMY OF ASANA (15HRS)
Susi Hately and her Functional Synergy Team, introduce us to the Principles of Anatomy, Kinesiology and biomechanics of Yoga Asana, through exciting workshops and discussions…just think toes!!!INTRODUCTION TO ANATOMY (28HRS)
Understanding anatomy and how it relates to yoga asanas, including Principles of Anatomy for the Core. We will also practice safe core exercises.THE PHYSIOLOGY – CHAKRAS, NADIS AND ENERGY (7HRS)
Through various sessions will be introduced to the Chakras, the Nadis and the concept of energy.
- YOGA PHILOSOPHY, LIFESTYLE AND ETHICS, BUDDHIST/MINDFULNESS YOGA and PHILOSOPHY WITH THE STUDY OF THE YOGA SUTRAS, PLUS IN-DEPTH STUDY OF PRANAYAMA, ASANA AND TEACHING SKILLS (60HRS)
Considering that the Buddha himself was an enlightened yogi, we are introduced to the Buddha’s teachings within the concept of the Yoga Tradition. These lectures illustrates that the common aspiration of all spiritual practitioners is to overcome suffering and imbalance and awaken to our inherent wholeness and union with all things. You will also be introduced to the main yogic texts and their central themes in a way that brings them to life and makes their wisdom relevant for modern yogis. The study of yoga philosophy will plug you into a rich tradition and add depth to your teaching.
- REACH IN. REACH OUT. (5HRS)
We are taught how to REACH IN to yourself, awaken your power and realize your full potential. REACH OUT with this power and potential to help positively transform the world through innovative yogic service.
- MOVIES & DISCUSSION, PRESENTATIONS, READING AND JOURNALING (25HRS)
- MOVIES AND DISCUSSION
We will watch and review movies that are thought provoking and maybe life-changing and see what arises. The diversity of the group should make this truly exciting!
- JOURNALLING (5HRS)
This is a chance to document the physical, spiritual and emotional journey that students experience throughout the training. Journaling is an opportunity to slow the mind and work through the challenges and excitement that arise in such an intensive training.
Each teacher trainer will be required to give a presentation. Presentation topics will be provided and is a great opportunity to put public speaking skills into practice in a setting that is more comfortable and varied than a standard yoga class.
Books will be suggested , but again, all thought provoking, meaningful, with the intention of helping you be the best yoga instructor that you can be!
- PRACTICUM (120HRS)
This part is broken down into three (3) parts:
- TEACHING YOUR PEERS
Emphasis will be placed on preparing the teacher trainer for the actual practice of teaching. Each student will have the opportunity to lead small groups of their fellow trainees through several consecutive postures and learn thematic approaches to teaching. The teaching will be followed by feedback sessions.
Emphasis will be placed on the teacher trainers watching and observing other teachers. This helps with learning the “tricks of the trade”.
- TEACHING PUBLICLY
During the course of the year of training, teacher trainers will teach publicly (friends or community classes) and receive feedback from them.
- OTHER / ELECTIVES (85HRS)
Emphasis will be placed on touch…the importance of understanding how the touch of an instructor can have a huge impact on your student. Mindfulness, care, healing and love are the focus here.
- FOUNDATIONS IN THAI YOGA MASSAGE/BALINESE MASSAGE/WATSU AQUATIC THERAPY (will be available once the borders are open and travel is available again)
We are taught a short routine that will allow you to incorporate into your classes and to use when you recognize students in extra need.
- INTRODUCTION TO ADVANCED POSES/STYLES (will be available once the borders are open and travel is available again)
We invite a guest ROCKSTAR to come and show us a thing or two! In the past we have had Meghan Currie, Steph and Erin, YuMee Chung, Trina Altman and The Acromachine!
- REIKI CERTIFICATION
We are introduced to Reiki and its power of healing. Again, helping the teacher trainers understand its affects and all with the intention of making you be the best instructor you can be! After this session, you will be Reiki certified.
- THE NEUROBIOLOGY OF YOGA
In this 4-Part lecture series, we will explore how and why yoga is a important to healthy mind and body framed by advances in Cognitive Science, Neurobiology, Philosophy, History & Hands-on Techniques to balance the Nervous System.
- DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAM (200+ hours)
Following the initial 5-week intensive is a 10-month distance learning program which requires the submission of projects associated with practice teaching and growth. Completion of the entire year long, 500+ hour teacher training is necessary in order to receive your certificate.